via La Masa, 34 20156 Milano - Italy
The laboratory is equipped with analytical instruments and testing devices for the following investigations:
- Microstructure and failure analysis. Optical and electron Microscopes, hardness and micro-hardness testers and the full range of equipment needed for metallographic sample preparation.
- Physico-chemical bulk and surface analyses. Thermal analyses for phase transformations, bulk chemical analyses and in depth concentration profiles, pin-on-disk tribometer, scratch tester, instrumented micro- hardness testers for the characterization of bulk and surface layers of metals.
- Process metallurgy. Simulation and experimental investigations of metallurgical processes by: setof muffle furnaces that can be operated up to 1200°C in ambient or inert atmosphere, melting resistance furnace for the production of small amounts of experimental alloys, laboratory rolling mill and extrusion systems as well as a hot compression/tension testing devices for hot working process optimization.
Tenaris Dalmine, Siemens, Scuderia Toro Rosso, Brembo, SMS-INNSE
Instrumentation & Facilities
- Zeiss EVO 50XVP Scanning Electron Microscope withX-ray EDS microanalysis and Electron ackscattered Diffraction System.
- Setaram DSC / GTA thermal analysis system equipped with furnace and rods for temperature cycles of up to 800 and 1600°C.
- Horiba Jobin-Yvon GDP2 glow discharge optical, emission spectrometer.
- CSM pin-on-disk tribometer.
- CSM Microindenter instrumented microhardness (loads from 0,01 to 10 N) and scratch tester (load range 0.3 - 30 N).
- Nabertherm melting furnace (temperature up to 1700°C).
- Carbolite tube furnace (temperature of up to 1200°C, in ambient or inert atmospheres).
- OAM rolling mill (symmetric and asymmetric operation mode, rolls of 150 mm diameter; speed: 0-20 rpm continuously adjustable).
Microstructure and failure analysis
- Microstructure analysis by optical and scannin electron microscopy.
- Quality control & failure analysis.
Physico-chemical bulk and surface analyses
- Thermal analysis for phase transformation, melting temperatures of alloys.
- Chemical concentration profiles by GDOES on coatings and surface treatments.
- Adhesion of coatings by scratch test.
- Wear properties by pin on disk testing.
- Thermal treatment simulations in inert or controlled athmosphere.
- Simulaiton of metallurgical processes.
- Laboratory casting of metallic alloys.
- Rolling of metals at room and high temperatures.
- Hot extrusion of small-size profiles of Aluminium, Magnesium or Titanium alloys.
- High-temperature compression tests to optimize hot working conditions.
- High temperature creep and slow-strain rate testing.