Secretary's Office of the RL Machine and Vehicle Design
Andrea Manes was born in La Spezia in 1976. He obtained the Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Mechanical Engineering Systems at Politecnico di Milano. At present He is Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano.
Main research topics are in the field of structural engineering, mechanical behaviour of materials, machine design under extreme loading conditions, and modelling approaches for monitoring strategies:
- assessment and optimization of components and systems under static, spectrum/fatigue and extreme loads (ballistic damage, low velocity impact, large deformation, corrosion, crack propagations, delamination, fragmentation, explosions, etc.);
- application of novel approaches in structural integrity design (flaw tolerant, vulnerability, condition based, etc.);
- innovative predictive methods (multiphasic, FSI, meshless)
- investigation in mechanical behaviour of materials (metals, composite, ceramic, nanocomposites, etrc);
- monitoring, diagnosis and prognosis of critical structures under fatigue loads and impact loads by means of modelling approaches.
Research activities are aimed to solve challenging theoretical and/or applied problems using rigorous scientific approaches and innovative methodologies. He has actively participated to several EU, EDA, National, and industrial projects. He published more than 140 papers (Hindex 22 – source Scopus) mainly in referred international journals and congresses (ID orcid.org/0000-0001-7485-8980). He is in the editorial board of International Journal of Impact Engineering.
He led a research team aimed to advanced engineering approaches for the structural integrity assessment and design of mechanical and aerospace components. He supervised 14 PhD students and more that 60 Master students. Several collaborations have been activated with industrial and institutional entities.
Formerly He was Visiting Professor at Tongji University Tongji University, Shanghai (China) Lecturer of "Machine Design I" inside POLITONG Fellowship (2013) and Visiting Scientist N.T.N.U. - SIMLab, Trondheim (Norway 2008-2009)
Thesis CMV 025/2022 - Development of machine learning methods to improve the fidelity of numerical models for simulating ultrasonic guided waves in solid media - Prof. Andrea Manes, Dr. Francesco Cadini, Prof. Marco Giglio